+ CC Sughosh

On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 at 15:29, Caleb Connolly <caleb.conno...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 05/06/2024 11:25, Ilias Apalodimas wrote:
> > Hi Heinrich

> >> This functionality should be integrated into the mkeficapsule.
> >>
> >> Just pass the device-tree into mkeficapsule and generate the GUIDs
> >> whereever they are needed.
> >
> > I like the idea of moving this mkeficapsule which is already part of
> > distro packages but,  isn't it easier to pass the compatible string
> > node and the namespace?
>
> Yeah, we only need the first entry in the compatible property, so
> parsing the whole DT is a bit overkill.
>
> I can look at combining these tools, can mkeficapsule generate a capsule
> for multiple images?

Not yet. There's [0] which adds that functionality but we are
discussing parsing a .yaml file instead of a custom format

> Would we want it to work such that you provide the namespace GUID,
> compatible, and image names, and have it generate a capsule with the
> right image GUIDs?
>
> Or would it be simple enough to just incorporate the functionality of
> genguid?

I'd argue for both since people might choose other tools to generate a capsule.
So you want 2 flags ideally (random flags)
-x: dump the autogenerated GUIDs
-y use the autogenerated GUIDs on capsule generation

Since mkeficapsule can't generate a capsule with multiple payloads
yet, you will be limited to just one, but I guess it's easy to expand
it once [0] is merged

[0]
https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/20240419065542.1160527-1-sughosh.g...@linaro.org/

Thanks