> > rk3568 is now upstream, there was a PR upstream for this for some
> > time, similar to rk3588, albeit not as long as rk56x. In some cases
> > the issue here is the speed of review of upstream ATF. I don't think
> > that means it should go into something like this.
> >

> If the BL31 blob doesn't go into boot-firmware, I don't see the benefit
> of boot-firmware for Rockchip platforms to be honest. Instead of telling
> people to get their firmware from github.com/rockchip-linux/rkbin we'll
> tell them to get one from rkbin and the other from boot-firmware. And I
> have a feeling that if that's how it'll go that the vendor will just not
> care about boot-firmware as they would anyway need to keep updating
> rkbin as well.

Well it could go there, but I currently build ATF for all Rockchip
platforms we support.

> It doesn't matter whose fault it is for not being upstreamed earlier,

I agree. There's also  no reason something can't be included and then
dropped at a later time when things land upstream in appropriate
places.

> the fact is, we still don't have a **merged** open-source BL31 for
> RK3588 2 and half years after the Rock5B from Radxa was announced. So in
> that whole timeframe, we have to work with blobs (or maintain your own
> forked TF-A whenever patches are posted and hope it works well enough).

Agreed, the rk356x has *finally* been merged[1], it was sent as a PR
around 2 years before. I have highlighted this to Linaro/arm in the
past that this delay really isn't good enough.

[1]
https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/tree/master/plat/rockchip/rk3568

The point I was trying to make, and I clearly didn't was. In the case
where there's open source code do we want to include vendor binaries?

> >> FYI, the DDR bin is printing stuff on the console, so we had to modify
> >> it (with a tool from Rockchip) to remove the gibberish breaking the
> >> terminal by setting the appropriate controller, mux and baudrate (for
> >> our products, there's no one size fits all :) ). The question is how to
> >> handle this since we cannot realistically store every possible
> >> permutation of that binary for each UART controller, mux of UART
> >> controller and baudrate (the only parameters **we** modify, but there
> >> are tons of others).
> >
> > I think those sort of things should be mostly quiet TBH.
>
> Mostly != fully. The console doesn't break consistently so I assume that
> if it even prints a tiny bit of info it would still be able to break
> stuff. I assume we could have binman run some logic to replace the uart
> controller, mux and baudrate. Not sure we want that but we could.

Adjusting binaries on the fly sounds problematic to me. Is the process
open or something that's NDA between rockchip and their customers?

> Also, the DDR bin is passing the console info to the BL31 binary through
> ATAGS, so if you don't fix the DDR bin baudrate, controller and mux, the
> BL31 will also not be fixed.

Ultimately we should work with the vendor to fix those so they're
consistent? Why do you're products have issues, are they using
baudrate that is different to all the other rockchip devices?