On June 21, 2024 thus sayeth Simon Glass:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 01:35, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 00:05, Simon Glass <s...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Nishanth,

> > > I suggest:
> > >
> > > 4) Add a 'binman blob' subcommand which can fetch blobs, similarly to
> > > how 'binman tool -f xxx' features a tool, using the image description
> > > to know what is needed and some configuration for where to find it /
> > > how to build it.
> >
> > This is a solving a different problem IMO. Also most distros build in
> > constrained environments so pulling FW randomly with a tool in the
> > build process won't work. Also most users won't want to pull the
> > latest each time they build, most vendors will choose a static set of
> > versions and only bump to deal with bugs, CVEs or explicit features
> > they need rather than having a series of moving targets.
>
> Yes of course. This is actually how 'binman tool' works - unless you
> explicitly fetch something it uses what you have. I am certainly not
> suggesting that binman fetch things as part of the build itself, but
> that it provide a way to programmatically obtain the required bobs,
> e.g. fetching from a defined (or public) repo or building from source.
> We would need to support different versions of the same file, dealing
> with files which are common across SoCs, etc.
>

> > Well the whole point of the repo is to remove the guesswork, it would
> > be a set of firmware that is expected to work in a single location.
>
> I don't believe a repo is sufficient. The instructions for building
> images are becoming complex enough that it is a non-trivial job for
> anyone to work through the steps and figure out what to do. If you are
> deeply into a particular SoC it is worth the effort, I suppose. But I
> favour a comprehensive image description (as provided by Binman) and a
> programmatic method.
>
> I'm not sure of the best way to 'uprev' blobs, but wherever they are
> stored, I suppose the image description would be changed to select the
> new version.
>

> > > IMO the actual repo is not the ultimate goal here. Building and
> > > testing should be the ultimate goal.
> >
> > I disagree, the repo would assist working and tested firmware because
> > there could be a review/test process as part of it to ensure things
> > work and are tested to give users a good experience rather than having
> > to search the web and forum posts to attempt to find pieces that work
> > together.
>
> I believe we are saying the same thing here, albeit that I feel a repo
> is not enough.

So long as we can keep the 'binman blob' a separate step. I agree that
we can do much better than a signed git repo and we should at the very
least try this out before we go down the linux-firmware route. But many
build systems (like buildroot) have different download, build, and
install phases and people get upset when we mix them (python, rust)

~Bryan