On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 10:14:26PM +0200, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 7/16/24 22:01, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > Some thought needs to be given to the license implications of these
> > > binaries
> > > for operating system distributions.
> > >
> > > A distro providing a combined binary consisting of U-Boot and closed
> > > source
> > > firmware might be interpreted as conflicting with U-Boot's GPL license.
> > >
> > > Distributing the closed source binaries and U-Boot in separate packages
> > > according to their respective licenses and only assemble them on the
> > > target
> > > device via a post-installation script might be allowable.
> >
> > For this project the question is making sure that the binaries are
> > licensed such that they could be externally redistributable.
> >
> > I don't know why someone would suggest that ABI calls are suddenly
> > linkage as I thought that (as far as these matters go) that was already
> > settled, but I am not a lawyer.
>
> The relevant term in the GPL 2.0 license is "work based on the Program".
> According to the GPL a "work based on the Program" is "a work containing the
> Program or a portion of it".
>
> If you build a binary via binman that contains U-Boot and another binary,
> the resulting binary could be considered "a work containing the Program or a
> portion of it".
>
> The GPL 2.0 requires:
>
> "But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a
> work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the
> terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
> entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it."

I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to be one on mailing lists, either.

In that my non-lawyer statements matter, I don't think binman
constitutes some new form of linking and I believe it falls in to the
same well known ABI exception.

But that's entirely unrelated to the question of hosting binaries (some
of which may be closed source) for use in firmware projects, some of
which will not be GPL. For example, I would assume that running
tianocore on i.MX8 requires the same assorted binaries that U-Boot does,
and that would not have a license conflict.

--
Tom