On 07/12/2011 11:22 AM, Detlev Zundel wrote:

> i did go through the level of detail and showed the call graphs ...
> none of
> which should allow a driver tested as working to even once hit the
> NULL path.

 As I said, these are the call graphs currently existing...

This was also my trail.

> what i wouldnt mind is annotating the prototype with gcc attributes
> saying that the argument is nonnull. ... #define __nonnull(x)
> __attribute__((__nonnull__ x)) ... extern struct eth_device
> *eth_get_dev_by_name(const char *devname) __nonnull(1); ...

 This can only catch calls the compiler can statically derive, but
 still I think it is a good thing.

__nonnull__ is actually a optimization attribute, gcc removes tests for NULL in the function body, warnings are only generated if one literally writes: eth_get_dev_by_name(NULL), so 'statically derive'
is already exageration.
This really is no help at all. It would indeed establish a precendence to using an IMHO quite flawed attribute in gcc. If I had a vote, I'd be against it.

The NDEBUG approach however, as Mike suggested, was what I was looking for in the first place.

Helmut

--
Scanned by MailScanner.