----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Leach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [U2] UniOleDB With Crystal Reports

> >I'd sure like to see some documentation that would help
> >address performance
> >when selecting large amounts of data.
>
> Frankly, you are unlikely to see great performance from
> UniOleDB when reporting with most applications. As a
> minimum, I would suggest that you need to look at your
> data structures and possibly look at creating reporting
> accounts: UniOleDB does a good job but it is an uphill
> struggle when it has to handle 'regular' mv files
> containing multiple associations, lots of fields per
> record, lack of indexing etc.

<snip>

The things you outline had already been done.  OLE DB is supposed to be
'newer and better' and ODBC.  I guess that newer and better means slower.
<wry grin>

The problem is that ODBC drops off around 170K records, but is very fast,
and OLE DB doesn't drop of but is very slow to retrieve.  I have a customer
that is told by IBM that they must use the partner who has the support
contract, to whom money has been paid, but that partner will not provide the
support that is needed.  IBM won't talk to me about this because I'm not the
partner, and my customer is again told to use the support partner.  (sounds
strangely like circular reasoning)  Anyone have any thoughts for how to
handle this?

Thanks,

Bryan Haglund
Haglund Consulting Inc.