From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] Another 4GL

In a message dated 5/6/2004 5:25:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On another note, do programmers ever hit a wall with the functionality of
> program generators/4GL's such that they still spend a good amount of time
> writing straight code. Being a 100% straight code person, ie too many
4GL's
> to get good at, I tend to lean towards this solution as all of my other
> clients who have (had) code generators don't have the tools anymore and
I'm
> enhancing finished code.

There is a learning curve with TPH esp if no one at your client knows how to

use it (!)
However, one good thing about it, is it does allow you to insert straight
code in sections, sort of like includes.  So for example AFTER entry of the
field
you can insert whatever straight line code you want to validate it, if the
validation TPH's allows don't suit your needs.
   TPH has a number of places where you can insert your own code.  I didn't
find an example of where I needed to replace a TPH screen/function with my
own
entirely.

Will Johnson
http://www.u2ug.org/listinfo/u2-users