<<"No, we're not gonna try the old switch and hope he doesn't realize
it's not the same one.">>
Smart move, George. If your son hasn't faced death before, this might be
a good opportunity to gently introduce him to the concept.

At college I'd talk with the farm kids and realize what an advantage
over us urban kids they had as they developed. They saw the cycle of
existence right away - birth, life, death - and they didn't fear it.

Plus as teenagers they always had Ol' Bessie to sneak behind.   ;-)

<<"Our son's hamster died this AM. He doesn't know yet.">>
Well, somebody had better tell him that he's dead before he eats too
many peanuts and makes a mess somewhere.

Where I once worked we had a sign, copies of which hung in every
cubicle, which went like this:
"Remember that it is a violation of Company policy for an employee not
to fall over when dead. Failure to comply by remaining upright at one's
desk means that Management cannot differentiate between employees and
corpses. There have been several instances recently of failure to
comply, leading the Company to continue Direct Deposit paychecks well
after death. Appropriate disciplinary action was taken once it became
apparent to Management that a dead employee had violated this Policy by
failing to topple over."

"Behold I am become Death,
the shatterer of worlds." - Vishnu,
in the Hindu Bhagavad Gita.