Thanks to everyone.  This one looks like the ticket (re UVfile) (but it
seems to run quite slow compared to the 'file' command used with an updated
'magic' file - even though they appear to do the same task).

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Wurlod [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 9 June 2004 16:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] FW: Identify UniVerse files at unix level

There's a UVfile executable in the bin directory for UniVerse.  This will
perform what you need.

On UNIX, use find:  for example (provided the UniVerse bin directory is in
PATH):  find . -exec UVfile {}\;
Possibly you can filter the output with grep and/or awk.

On Windows, use the uvwalk.exe utility, and its -uvfile option