djordan wrote:
> If Uniobjects .Net is a .Net assembley, then it should run anywhere
> that the .Net frame work runs as well as probably on the Linux
> version as well.

We've had some discussions in comp.databases.pick about .NET-enabled MV
tools running over Mono.  I believe (though someone with more insight might
correct me) that the current lot of components (UO.NET, PDP.NET, etc) will
not run over Mono in Linux or in Windows unless the authors take the time to
assemble the code over Mono (doesn't matter which platform).

I'm a firm believer that Mono provides opportunities for all developers, MV
and otherwise, that have been unreachable until now.  I strongly encourage
IBM and Raining Data to assemble and support their components over Mono, so
that we can create rich thick and thin clients and other interfaces over
*nix as easily as over Windows.  This will open many sales opportunities
that we simply do not have at the moment.

That said, I don't know, but if UOJ clients can be deployed over *nix, or if
*nix-based Java components (clients and middle tiers) can be implemented
with WebSphere/RedBack - so the issue might be that people just aren't
taking advantage of existing tools, and not that the tools aren't available.
If UOJ/WebSphere/RedBack is the answer, then maybe the problem is just
economics and "too much in the middle".

Any comments on that?  Do I need to read the friendly manuals?

Tony, Nebula R&D
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Editor, "C#Builder Kick Start", SAMS Publishing
Technical Editor, several .NET articles for magazines and websites
Author, "Web Services and .NET" article series, Spectrum Magazine
Providing high-end .NET-related services