Everyone has their own preference, so take this for what it's worth,
but if I'm building a big comment block to explain a data structure in
a program, I usually try to show it without a lot of symbology:

* 001 Some attribute
* 002 Something else
* 003 List of somethings (cmv)
* 004 Dependent list of somethings (dmv)

(cmv) = controlling mv
(dmv) = dependent mv
(csv) = controlling sv
(dsv) = dependent sv

If it's a work record or something like that being built, EQUs are
also a very good way to document the structure, with the parenthetical
comments (csv, et al) to illustrate structure.  Bottom line, if it's
comments, make it as easy to understand six months after the fact as
possible, otherwise you may find yourself looking at your program just
after Christmas and saying "what the heck is \ again?".

-Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.PrecisOnline.com