I would guess that the Business Basic (of which Thoroughbred has only a
fairly small share) is roughly equivalent to he MV market.

Back in the early 80's, there was a Business Basic to Pick translator
around.  I don't clearly recall who developed it, but the name Jerry Burley
(sp?) seems to stick in my mind.

I worked on a system that had been converted from an older MAI Basic/4
system (MAI was the originator of the Business Basic language) to a
Honeywell running Ultimate.  The translator took what had been a fairly well
written program and created some pretty awful code.

For example, Business Basic does file I/O with a list of variables, whereby
each field (attribute) is read into a separate variable.  The translator
converted reads and writes into a series of READV and WRITEV statements, one
for each variable.

Needless to say, performance was not real exciting.  In fact, a report that
used to take 4 hours to run on the old Basic/4 took 20 hours on the
Honeywell.  Of course, after I re-wrote it to take advantage of the MV data
structures and intrinsic capabilities of the Ultimate system, it ran in 20
minutes.

As I recall, this translator also had a (quite inefficient) B-Tree file
manager, written entirely in Basic, since this was the days before alternate
indices, etc.  Quite a piece of work.

All in all, I don't think there's a big market for Business Basic to U2
conversions.  Especially since most of the modern Business Basics have full
GUI and OO capabilities built in, albeit implemented in slightly different
ways.

On another note:  someone earlier mentioned a Business Basic interpreter
that ran on the Prime.  The name of the product was BP99, from Chuck
Armstrong (Armstrong System House).

Larry Hiscock
Western Computer Services