Call Xerox and have a look at their Docuprint line of printers.  The units come with a
Sun workstation that handles the print ripping chores and a 65-135 page per minute
print engine.  I was able to set two of these up to print our bills.  The bills come
out with different color paper, letter head built on the fly, water marks and
stapling.  All the fancy stuff is done with embedded strings at the start of the print
job and with a little pit of postscript on the printer side.  This description does
not do it justice....  The Xerox printers can even emulate greenbar paper without
doing any programming or changes on the UniVerse/D3/Pick side.  One other thing you
can do with these printers is to have the printer do all the work of essentially
merging a plain text stream with a postscript file which is used to describe all the
fancy stuff.

Don Kibbey
Financial Systems Manager
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP