What kind of web service provider and/or consumer
do you want to create?

(Unidata can be a server and/or a client.)

***

Your other questions:

You didn't specify Solaris/SPARC or Solaris/Intel.

Yes, Unidata 6.1 is available for Solaris 7, 8, and 9
on Sun SPARC chips.

If you're using the Intel chip version of Solaris,
then you won't have IBM's blessing, or support,
but you should be able to use the RedHat Linux version
of Unidata, and the Linux compatibility option in Solaris.

Click here
http://ibm.com/software/data/u2/unidata
for answers to most of your Unidata questions.

Click here
http://ibm.com/software/data/u2/unidata/ud61-ann.html
for new features in Unidata 6.1.

Click here
http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/25124550/25124550.zip
for the complete set of UDT reference manuals * 70 megabytes *

Click here
http://ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect
for the main tech support page for Universe and Unidata,
where you can click on "product availability" and
see details about supported Linux kernel versions etc.
(You're probably okay on kernel 2.4.20 or higher.)

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This communication, including attachments, is for exclusive
use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
disclosure, or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance upon this
immediately and delete this communication and destroy all copies.