Hi, everyone.  I've just been working on a project using the UniObjects for
Java stuff, and it all works fine...for a little while.  That is, I can make
connections and do 'thinkgs' on the UniVerse system, connecting and
disconnecting with no problem. But after "a while" of inactivity (exact
duration unknown), I find I can no longer make the connection any more - the
call returns with "The RPC failed."  Rebooting the Windows 2003 system makes
things work again.  Note that I'm not trying to reuse the connection, or the
session, or anything; I've actually quit out of my program, and am trying to

At first, I suspected that there was something awry in my Java code, but
I've discovered that I can create the same problem just by using the
UniVerse Admin tool; again, I connect, and "do stuff" with no problem, but
after disconnecting and waiting a while, attempts to reconnect generate the
dialog box "Unable to open connection - Error 81002 - connection is broken".
As the Admin tool is on the same box as UniVerse, this eliminates any
questions (I think) of firewall issues, networking problems, etc.

While this makes me feel better about my UOJ code :-) it means there's
something else going on here.  I don't know if it's related to being on
Windows 2003 Server, or the fact that this is the Personal Edition of
UniVerse (just downloaded from the IBM site; version is 10.0.10), or...?  If
it's just something unique to the PE, that's fine; I'm using this for
testing and development, and if it works correctly in the "real" world, then
that's OK, but it'd be nice to know what's going on.

Thanks!

-- Bryan Shumsky
Director of Engineering
Via Systems, Inc.