-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dana Baron
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 8:39 AM
To: U2-Users (E-mail)
Subject: [U2] Writeseq quirkiness - the answer

Greetings,

And the prize goes to Kevin King! He came up with the "write" answer to
solve my writeseq problem. Of course, he had an advantage since he helped
write the application in the first place. Still, I was stumped and his
answer worked. Thank you (once again!), Kevin.

For those who care: To understand the solution, you need a little more
background. The code segment I sent is part of an application that manages
the interface between my Unidata application and a third-party device, which
in turn manages the interface with a bunch of other devices. When I want to
send data out of my application, I create a file with a .out extension and
write the appropriately formatted data to the file. A program written by
Kevin King sits out there looking for files with .out extensions. When it
finds one, it reads the file and sends the data to the third-party device.
It then deletes the file. And this is wherein lay the problem, and the
solution.

What was happening was, my program would open the file (OPENSEQ) and Kevin's
program would come along and try to read it, then delete it, then I'd try to
write to it (WRITESEQ), but by then it was gone. I changed the code a little
bit to open the file with a .tmp extension, write to that, then rename it to
.out. Works great!

There are still a few mysteries: why does the original code work for just
about every situation, then suddenly fail for one new situation that is
seemly the same as all the others? But heck, it works so I'll go with it.

Thanks to everyone who responded with a solution. And the u2 list comes
through again!

Dana Baron
System Manager
Smugglers' Notch Resort