> I recently had a client that wanted a report that pulled from an enormous
> transactional based file.  I offered to create an index to improve
> performance, but they declined saying that there were currently
> using Excel and manual data entry to create the same report at the
> end of the month, and that having it run in 15 minutes instead of 10
> seconds was acceptable.  So I just wrote it with a simple SELECT
> and it takes 15 minutes and they're happy as heck that it takes 15
> minutes instead of the two days it used to take them to do it in Excel.

We are in the midst of converting from D3 to UniData on AIX (RS/6000 M80).
I just tested an inventory select that takes nearly two hours on D3.  It
finished in under 8 minutes on UniData.  This involves selecting about
30,000 records from a file of nearly 800,000 VERY large records, about 60%
of them over 2K, i.e. "pointer items" on D3.  That's a pretty dramatic
improvement.