Greetings,

I'm trying to write a Unidata program to interface with another system via
the serial port (/dev/tty01) on a Compaq Tru64 system. I'm wondering if
anyone has any experience with this that may be able to offer some advice.
Specifically, according to the published protocol, I need to wait for an ENQ
(ascii 5) and I reply with ACK (ascii 6). It goes on from there but I won't
bore you with the details. Until today, I couldn't get the other system to
recognize my ACK. Today I got it working by making a small change to the
LINE.ATT command that attaches the line - I added the "DELAY" parameter.
This got it working for the first exchange but not for subsequent exchanges.
All of this is by way of asking:

Does anyone have any more detail on how LINE.ATT with DELAY works or is
supposed to work? (the page from the manual is shown below. Not much
detail.)

Thanks,

Dana Baron
System Manager
Smugglers' Notch Resort

Page from manual for LINE.ATT command:

LINE.ATT

Syntax
LINE.ATT line [DELAY]

Synonym
LINE-ATT

Description
The ECL LINE.ATT command attaches a communication line to the current
process. The
attaching process then has exclusive use of that line until it is detached
with the LINE.DET
command. A single process can attach up to five resources per UniData
session.

Warning
On some platforms, you must specify DELAY in LINE.ATT to avoid problems with
subsequent
UniBasic SEND commands overlaying data.