-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Wallis
[snip]
And also, to be clear, I completely disagree with those who suggest that
accessing a dictionary item by name from inside a BASIC program is a bad
idea because of either inefficiency or some other mythical danger.  Code
reuse is good.  Unreservedly good.  I simply don't subscribe to the NIH
(not invented here) approach.

If you can't code the dictionary item efficiently and access it from
BASIC, then code it efficiently in BASIC as a FUNCTION/SUBROUTINE and
access it from the dictionary via SUBR.  Either way it is far better to
get the same result from multiple means than to be hyper-efficient, but
have subtle differences in the boundary conditions.

Cheers,

Ken