From: Maresh, Mel
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type30)
files
                                                                ^^
                                                            Type27

> I colleague wrote and used the following code to select from a
> specific distributed file, the GL.DETAIL file.  He loved it, but
> the system administrator has forbidden him from using it because
> it's such a resources hog.

a resource hog, huh?  Hmmm.
Thanks for the code example.  I think I'd write it as a self-contained
verb rather than writing temporary procs.  The verb would have 2 modes,
one for controlling the distributed select, the other mode for doing the
individual selects on partfiles.

In other words:
[S]SELDIST GL.DETAIL WITH POST.DATE = "3/22"

Program would notice GL.DETAIL was distributed and spawn the multiple
phantoms:

 PHANTOM [S]SELDIST GL.DETAIL_[partno] WITH POST.DATE = "3/22"

then collect the results when phantoms are done.  (JOBS and NOTIFY
commands will probably prove useful.)

When SELDIST executes as a phantom, it would notice that it is dealing
with a partfile, do the [s]select and save the list for its parent pid.
I think I'd use the parent pid to control uniqueness.

Assuming I do it at all.

cds