-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Stevenson,
Charles
Sent: Wednesday, 23 March 2005 14:41
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type27)
files

From: Dan Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type30)
files

> I'm a bit confused by the subject line, though. Type 30 or
distributed?
> In UV, type 30 is dynamic.

I'm trying to think of a clever excuse for why I called distributed
files "Type30".  Can't.
It's "Type27".  "Type30" are dynamically hashed files.
Oh well, I only missed it by 2.

Thanks for catching that, Dan.

> Anyways...
>
> Assuming a clean & accurate &PARTFILES& (often not a good assumption,

I never trust it.

> and here's where it costs you a little something), you can use that to
> determine how many parts there are currently. The more accurate way is
> to query the dist file header (IIRC, it's an mv attribute returned by
> SYSTEM).

STATUS statement: STATUS FSTAT FROM file.var THEN ... ELSE ...

>From UV10 Basic pg 11-694:
Field Stored Value..............
Description...................................
  24  Part numbers of part files  Multivalued list. If file is a
      belonging to a distributed  part file, this field contains the
      file                        part number, and field 25 is empty.

  25  Pathnames of part files     Multivalued list. If file is a part
      belonging to a distributed  file, this field is empty.
      file

  26  Filenames of part files     Multivalued list. If file is a part
      belonging to a distributed  file, this field is empty.
      file

Of course, the partfiles need not be defined in the VOC for a
distributed file to be valid.
But the VOC pointers would be needed for this proposed distributed
select, so one would have to come up with one's own convention.

This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended recipient,
please contact us at once by return email and then delete the original message
and all copies. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment.