Mark:

I would say this is legitimate if one is reading from, or opening, a
prioritized list of files.  For instance, say I want to get a configuration
parameter and want to:

READ ParameterValue FROM ParameterFile.Fv, ParameterId THEN...ELSE...

This parameter can come from any of several files already prioritized, say:

LOCAL_PARAMETERS
GLOBAL_PARAMETERS

Then one might:

OPEN 'LOCAL_PARAMETERS' TO ParameterFile.Fv ELSE
   OPEN 'GLOBAL_PARAMETERS' TO ParameterFile.Fv THEN...ELSE...
END

Just a thought.  :-)

Bill