I whole heartedly agree.   The green screen is the crusher for our
environment.

As far as .Net and Visual Studio go,  I don't think it takes even that much
effort as having Pick Basic as .Net assemblies to modernize or help
perception, although that would be terrific.  What would be great is simply
the ability to use U2 components in the .Net environment as easily as you
can those of other databases.

The biggest headache/difference is that of data awareness.  The current
Visual Studio and much more so in VS 2005 allow you to establish
tables/procedures as predefined datasources that can be linked to controls.

If we did that,  our U2 environments could be used by the dotnet world same
as any other database.    That puts us on an equal or closer footing with
the SQL guys.   Then the other features of U2 (flexible dictionaries,
variable lengths, etc.) are enhancements to be pitched as selling points.

Seems like a couple of vendors started down that road (most notably RD's
PDP).   Maybe it one day it happens.

Mike

However my perception is to make PICK more acceptable to younger people and
look more mainstream.  U2 is hung more for the green screen than for
anything else, it is perceived as archaic even though that is far from the
fact.

If a Blue Chip company was looking at U2, and the basic code was a .Net
assembly and we could create tables, etc from the Microsoft Visual Studio it
could be the difference between a sale win or loss.  It could minimise
management wanting to throw U2 out of sites for something more modern as the
even older RDBMS.

It is the perceptions, not the technicalities that have dropped U2 from
mainstream.

Regards

David Jordan