Greetings:

We have been lately experiencing an internal lock problem with
PI/open.  Terminal users get messages such as the following:

    Waiting for lock 0x701d137c.

The user's session is essentially hung and the lock message
repeats periodically.  When experienced, this problem often
cascades to where all PI/open users on the system soon get the
message and all users are in a hung condition.  At this point
the only recourse is to force log out all PI/open users (often
with kill -s KILL when nothing else works), and then to shut
down and restart PI/open.

We've experienced this intermittently over the years, but it
has historically been a fairly rare occurrence--perhaps once
every year or so--and so has been tolerable.  Lately it has
been happening much more frequently and so has become a
significant problem.

The PI/open Administrator's Guide very briefly mentions these
internal locks and says that they are "self regulating".  It says
that these locks "cannot be released or manipulated by the
administrator".  It seems to me that the self-regulating mechanism
is not always reliable.

I relealize that this presumes some knowledge of PI/open internals,
but I wonder if anybody can provide some insight about what
might cause the problem I have describled.  Is there a more graceful
and less disruptive way of dealing with it?  Any help would be
much appreciated.

PI/Open 3.6.1 on AIX 5.1
    /   /  /  /\  /__Mike Brennan
                     Pittsburg State University