> > While delivering a Unidata System Administration course today
> > I noticed an interesting "feature" of udstat. I had a simple program the
> > contained a loop that performed one read and one write. The loop was
> traversed
> > 100 times.
> > udstat reported this as 200 reads and 600 writes. I ran this
> > several times to verify my findings.
> >
> > Something doesn't add up. Has anyone else seen this? How
> > reliable are these figures?
>
> Were there any indexes on the file?

This was a tiny static hashed file with no indices set up specifically to
get some numbers into the udstat display. If I had been running anything
real, I would not have noticed the discrepency.

Maybe you'd like to try it... Create a tiny file, put in a few records (or
even just one) and then run a program that loops around a known number of
times reading and rewriting each record. If your figures look fine, there is
something very odd going on with our server.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200