I think it's a universe/unidata difference. I get the segmentation fault
running unidata in ecl type U as well.
Here's some interesting info and an ugly hack--in unidata.
Apparently, the keywords SUBROUTINE and FUNCTION are interchangable as
far as BASIC is concerned, so create a subroutine
        SUBROUTINE MYHACK(A,B)
        A=B*2                   ;* note that we both assign the result
to a parameter AND return the result
        RETURN A
Then you can call it as a function with
        PROGRAM HACKTEST
        DEFFUN MYHACK(A,B)
        CRT MYHACK('',2)        ;* <--- there's the hack. You need that
placeholder parameter
Or use it as a subroutine:
        PROGRAM HACK2
        CALL MYHACK(A,2)