U2 Gang

I am having a problem of universe (or linux) adding an extra character when I
write a file out.  I have tried creating a file two different ways, using
WRITESEQ and WRITE to a type 19 file.

Here is the code...

       WRITE DEPOSIT.REQUEST ON SWITCH.FILE,'nashbar.deposit.4'

or

       OPENSEQ "/usr1/BN.TEST/SWITCH-FILE/nashbar.deposit.4" TO DATA.FILE
          WEOFSEQ DATA.FILE
       END ELSE
          CREATE DATA.FILE ELSE
             CRT "CAN'T CREATE"
          END
       END
       WRITESEQ DEPOSIT.REQUEST ON DATA.FILE ELSE CRT "DIDN'T WRITE"

Before the write, I do a CRT "A LENGTH = ":LEN(DEPOSIT.REQUEST) and the length
is coming out at 616.  When I look at it in Linux, it is showing a size of
617.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] SWITCH-FILE]$ ls -l nashbar.deposit.4
-rw-rw----    1 mc       users         617 Aug  1 16:24 nashbar.deposit.4

[EMAIL PROTECTED] SWITCH-FILE]$ wc nashbar.deposit.4
      1      14     617 nashbar.deposit.4

Any ideas if the culprit is Linux or Universe adding the extra character, what
the extra character could be, and/or how to stop it from writing out, if
possible.  When I try to edit the filename within universe, I do not see any
hidden or control characters.

We are running Universe 10.0.9 and Linux 7.3

Thanks in advance
Marc