Thanks Tony, and indeed several people have suggested that we bypass the odbc/jdbc issue altogether & we'll likely be looking to do that, although we aren't currently exposing any web services (just got upgraded to 10.1.4 last month); in this case we've got a rather severe time/resource constraint but do need to upgarde CF from 5.1 to CFMX 7, which doesn't handle ODBC with UniVerse at all, and no help from Macromedia in the offing, so JDBC is our best bet for the timeframe.

Many thanks for the help.

Tony Gravagno wrote:
I'm not sure about your architecture, but just to open some
possibilities... I used CF years ago connect into a back end application
using CFHTTP queries rather than ODBC.  If you're already exposing U2
business rules as a Web Service then using CF to generate the UI becomes a
no brainer.  If not, well, that's one of the benefits of modularization and
exposing code as UI-independent rules, which is after all what Stored
Procedures are all about.

HTH

Peter Ivanick
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 215.573.2306    Fax: 215.573.8777
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/