I'm running AIX 4.3.3 on an RS6000 - model F50,
and running UniVerse release 9.6.2.5.

We have a couple of printers which connect directly into
the F50 (both serial and parallel) and are easy to describe
to Universe.  We have NO AIX/Unix "Print Queues" for these printers.

I also have a Printronix P5220S printer which I would like to
place on the network for the RS6000.
The printer has an ethernet port and has been configured
to the proper network settings (ie it has an IP address).
Currently the printer works very well via the parallel port.

My problem is configuring the printer to work with Universe
via network setup.

I'm not sure whether to configure a "Print Queue" on the
AIX/Unix side or not. I've heard you have to configure a
"Print Queue" on the AIX/Unix side.

QUESTIONS:

Do you have to have a "Print Queue" configured in AIX/Unix
in order to define/configure the printer in Universe?

If a "print queue" has to be defined in AIX/Unix, how do you
configure the network printer to Universe?

If a "print queue" does NOT have to be defined in AIX/Unix,
how do you configure the network printer to Universe?

If anyone using AIX and Universe and have setup "network"
printer(s) like the Printronix, I would like to hear what the
proper procedure for configuring the printer(s) so Universe
knows about them, especially if you have to use a driver
or script on the Universe side.

Thanks,

Denny Watkins
Director Computer Services
Morningside College
1501 Morningside Ave
Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717

Phone:  1-712-274-5250

Email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]