Karen

I originally used to use RCS under UniVerse with some simple verbs that
committed items in and out of a work directory using an index file to map
account|file|item paths to work file keys. This meant that I could easily
manage items from hashed files (eg dictionaries) using some simple RCSPUT,
RCSGET, RCSLOG type verbs. It was simple and worked pretty well, and I
should have the source code somewhere waiting to dig out and clean up when I
get a chance.

Later on we went to CVS, using commit/extract scripts under UNIX and
TortoiseCVS with Windows. The reason was that we needed to integrate source
control from a wider set of locations: UniVerse code for the server routines
as well as all the client stuff (VB, Delphi, resources, web pages etc).
Keeping these in step was a major exercise, especially since we had a lot of
shared libraries and common modules between projects.

One simple thing that helped us hugely, was writing some simple commands
that generated all of the dictionaries, INI file entries, data items etc
that we needed on the server side from scripts. This meant that the scripts
were part of the 'source code', held in type 19 files and CVS'ed with the
rest of the source. We also added scripting (two way generation) to our
windows development environment, for the same reason.

One thing to be aware of. Changing revision control strategies at a later
date is a major pain. I know this may sound obvious, but think ahead to what
you will need to control in order to ensure that you have every base
covered. If you are only doing server based work, that is all you need to
scope: but if you are adding other interfaces, make sure sure your solution
will work with those as well!

Also (sorry if this sounds heavy): revision control is not something to
approach lightly. It takes planning and resource. We learned (the hard way)
to include it in project plans, and to make it a specific routine task for
systems administration. A poorly or partially implemented revision control
doesn't help anyone, so make sure you get the buy-in and budget for it:
tools like RCS, CVS etc. may be free but there is an ongoing cost in
managing any solution. I haven't used the highly-regarded and oft-quoted PRC
so I don't know if it works with multiple environments, but a commercial
system may be a cost saving in the end.

Managing a good revision control strategy is a headache for someone and an
overhead for everyone: but however much management it takes, it is still a
lot less than the time and expense of trying to reconstruct a revision when
you haven't got everything in place. It only takes one disaster...

Brian "Burned and Learned"