From: Glenn Herbert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:54 PM
To: Hennessey, Mark F.; u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] OPEN vs TRANS

The vlist should show a call to Ftrans, which basically does an OPEN and a
READ, and caches both for later reuse (subsequent reads on a file open'd
earlier don't waste the time of the open).  I also believe that the file cache
is for 10 files, then the oldest gets closed, and the record cache is for 50
records between all open files.   If you do multiple TRANS ops on the same
file same record, but different fields, you only pay the cost of search for
the field (assuming your file and record are still IN the cache!)

Hope this helps

Glenn