Well that'd be a good idea except (whispering) he said "data field"  ;)
doh...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dan Fitzgerald
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 15:48
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UD] how to find records with a " in the data

Why not just do a BASIC internal select & loop through the file, evaluating
each id?

open filename to fBad else whatevuh
dblq='"'
loop
   while readnext id do
   * note that you should test for null ids if you suspect that you have one
    if index(id,dblq) then
      * rebuild the id without the offending character.
      * loop through here if you have more than one in any given id
      * also maybe you want to capture which ones had the problem somehow
      * write the record back
      * delete the old record
    end
repeat

"Our greatest duty in this life is to help others. And please, if you can't
help them, could you at least not hurt them?" - H.H. the Dalai Lama
"When buying & selling are controlled by legislation, the first thing to be
bought & sold are the legislators" - P.J. O'Rourke
Dan Fitzgerald