Thanks Mats.  Actually I simply changed the association in the dictionaries
to be:

Dictionary List: DICT CHANGES          Prepared on: 07:03:38am  01 Dec 2005
Dict Name...... Type # Col-Heading.... Field-Definition. Conversion.. Format
Assoc...

ADATE           D    4 ACTDATE                           D2           9R
M AS_4
ACTIONS         D    7 ACTIONS TAKEN                                  63T
M AS_4
BYS             D    8 ACTIONS BY                        TUSERS;C;;1  20L
M AS_4
OACTIONS        I      ACTIONS TAKEN   @RECORD<7>                     30T
M AS_4 (from AS_4A)

and left the phrases alone.  This is a bit counter-intuitive though.  It's
as though there's no fixed relationship between attribute 7 and the phrase.
In fact, I changed the dictionaries to be:

Dictionary List: DICT CHANGES          Prepared on: 07:43:03am  01 Dec 2005
Dict Name...... Type # Col-Heading.... Field-Def.... Conversion.. Format
Assoc.....

ADATE           D    4 ACTDATE                       D2           9R     M X
ACTIONS         D    7 ACTIONS TAKEN                              63T    M X
BYS             D    8 ACTIONS BY                    TUSERS;C;;1  20L    M X
OACTIONS        I      ACTIONS TAKEN   @RECORD<7>                 30T    M X

and left the phrases alone as (no 'X' phrase)   :

Dictionary List: DICT CHANGES          Prepared on: 07:38:30am  01 Dec 200
Dict Name...... Type # Col-Heading.... Field-Definition...................
AS_4            PH                     ADATE ACTIONS BYS
AS_4A           PH                     ADATE OACTIONS BYS

This is the result of the query:

>LIST CHANGES '131081' DESC AS_4 AS_4A

CHANGES................ 131081
DESCRIPTION OF REQUEST. Allow moving an UNAPPLY amount
                        from one unit to another
                        within a client.  Also allow
                        the ability to refund any or
                        all of the UNAPPLY amount.
ACTDATE.. ACTIONS TAKEN..................................................
ACTIONS BY..........
20 NOV 03 + Modified the T/R adjustment program to allow an UNAPPLY to
wph
          be 'applied to--:' anywhere including another unit and refund.
24 NOV 03 + Modified the T/R adjustment program to allow an UNAPPLY to
wph
          be refunded, using the new subroutines built for use by the
          T/R Invoice program.
ACTDATE.. ACTIONS TAKEN................. ACTIONS BY..........
20 NOV 03 + Modified the T/R adjustment  wph
          program to allow an UNAPPLY to
          be 'applied to--:' anywhere
          including another unit and
          refund.
24 NOV 03 + Modified the T/R adjustment  wph
          program to allow an UNAPPLY to
          be refunded, using the new
          subroutines built for use by
          the T/R Invoice program.

Martin: The ACTIONS and OACTIONS are synonyms for the same field, so
presently ADATE(4) would have a C;8;7 in it while ACTIONS(7), OACTIONS(7),
and BYS(8) would have a D;4 in it.  This is one of the painful (and oldest)
nuisances with the U2 products, where multiple dictionaries need to be
created for different output scenarios.

Thanks again,

Bill