Wendy,
I setup the following and got the results I think you are looking for
without the need for selecting the VOC.

AE DICT VOC CTR
001: I
002: SUBR("CTR.VOC",@ID)
003:
004: FILE COUNT DICT COUNT
005: L#21
006: S

AE BP CTR.VOC
001: SUBROUTINE CTR.VOC(RESULT,ID)
002: RESULT = ""
003: EXECUTE 'COUNT ':ID CAPTURING OUTPUT
004: IF @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE < 0 THEN
005:   RESULT = "EMPTY     "
006: END ELSE
007:   RESULT = @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE"L#10"
008: END
009: EXECUTE 'COUNT DICT ':ID CAPTURING OUTPUT
010: IF @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE < 0 THEN
011:   RESULT<-1> = "EMPTY     "
012: END ELSE
013:   RESULT<-1> = @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE"L#10"
014: END
015: RESULT = CHANGE(RESULT,@AM," ")
016: RETURN
017: END
After you compile and catalog the subroutine all that you have to do is
a straight LIST or SORT of the VOC as follows:

LIST (OR SORT) VOC WITH F1 = "F" CTR

Walter