REPOSTED FOR NON-MEMBER: "Glenn Batson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Has anyone had experience with UO.NET throwing an exception related to
what looks to be permission issues related to updating the registry for
performance counters?  Unfortunately the exception details were lost,
but what I remember was "Error Message:
System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access not
allowed." and the stack trace referenced something like a performance
method (assuming performance counters).  After doing some googling I
found reference to ASP.NET and Windows EventLog registry updates and one
option was to set the Application Pool for the website to have the
identity of "Local System" versus "Network Service".  This made the
exception go away and my application started running but the "Local
System" setting is a huge security hole.  I tried to obtain the
exception again this morning by resetting the identity to "Network
Service" but the problem did not come back (even after restarting IIS).
So my speculation is that what ever needed to be updated on the registry
was done and only needed to be done once.  In doing a little research
into my registry settings I found the following entries in a "perflib"
folder with a key of "Counter".  This is also confirmation that
something had to be updated in the registry, I'm just not sure when and
if these were the entries it was having problems with.  There were at
the end of the string.

UODOTNET Category

7442

Current # pooled connections

7444

Current # connection pools

7446

Total # failed connects

7448

Average Wait Time

7450

Average Wait Time Base

What I'm looking for is the best way to handle this situation as we roll
out our product to our clients.  I hate to think setup application,
change app pool identity, run application, change app pool identity back
and then start application back up is the approach we'll have to take.
We can create a custom identity but I think that will take a lot of work
to figure out all the settings that identity will need.  We can modify
the registry but I need to know what needs to be modified.  I'm hoping
someone else has experienced this and has some suggestions.

Finally a couple of other bits are:

a.           This only seemed to happen when connection pooling was
activated.  It was a late night so some of the details are fuzzy.

b.          This only happened on two systems.  One system did not
experience the problem.  I'm not sure if it is the order in which things
were installed or something like that.

c.           Our environment is UniData 7.1.0,  UniObjects.Net
2.1.0.7137, C#/ASP.NET, and Windows 2003.

Glenn Batson

360.256.4400

www.jenkon.com

--