Mark,

Since nobody else has replied, I'll put in my two cents worth ...

F.
> Sent: Friday, 6 January 2006 09:44
> To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
> Subject: [U2] [UV] Something Strange happened today

[snip]

>  The more UniVerse decayed, the worse our system looked
> from UniVerse... at the worst, we had zero % idle, 95% kernel
> and 5% user activity.

[snip]

> The only thing that was obviously strange was the Type 30
> semaphore (nearly all of our files are dynamic).  Collisions
> were at 10253 and retries (which, as I understand it, should
> be only slightly higher than the number in collisions) were
> at "-808871239"...  I wonder if the minus sign means retries
> were being expressed in scientific notation...

My guess would be that a negative number means that the 'retries'
counter is being treated as an unsigned integer by the routine that
increments it, and as a signed integer by the routine that reports it,
so when the number gets so large that the top bit is set, this is seen
as a negative sign: "-808871239" is "FFFFFFFFCFC99AB9" in hex.
So the next question is: what the blazes would be making your TYPE30
semaphore get completely hammered?
IIRC the TYPE30 semaphore is used to serialise access to control
structures which are used every time a Dynamic file is opened or closed,
and when a block splits or merges.  So if a program is, perhaps in a
called subroutine, opening and closing a Dynamic file very, very, very
often (maybe for each record processed?), that might cause the symptoms.

Someone's maybe put up some new code with a local file
open/read/write/close in a subroutine, rather than opening in the host
or into a common block file handle??

Hope this helps

Mike

> So, has anyone come across these symptoms before?
>
> Mark Hennessey
> State of Connecticut
> DSS/MIS Child Support Systems
> Voice: 860-424-5261
> Fax: 860-424-4956

The information contained in this Internet Email message is intended
for the addressee only and may contain privileged information, but not
necessarily the official views or opinions of the New Zealand Defence Force.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or
distribute this message or the information in it.

If you have received this message in error, please Email or telephone
the sender immediately.