I've used Multi-files like this on Unidata, I tried
the following in Universe 10.1.8:

Notice that in the second part that I add, I specify
18 503 and 1 as parameters. For some reason,
CREATE-FILE uses the 18 as both the file type and
modulo.  The LISTFILES command confirms that the
second part was created with a modulo of 18.

>CREATE.FILE TEMP.JAG,WORK.JJ 16 17 1 18 101 1
Creating a multilevel data file.

Creating file "TEMP.JAG/WORK.JJ" as Type 18, Modulo
17, Separation 1.
Creating file "D_TEMP.JAG" as Type 18, Modulo 16,
Separation 1.

>CREATE.FILE DATA TEMP.JAG,WORK.KK 18 503 1

Creating file "TEMP.JAG/WORK.KK" as Type 18, Modulo
18, Separation 1.
FILES in your vocabulary
08:45:12pm  06 Jan 2006 Page  1

Filename...........................
Pathname...................... Type Modulo

     F 503 1

DICT TEMP.JAG                       D_TEMP.JAG
              18     16
DATA TEMP.JAG,WORK.JJ            TEMP.JAG/WORK.JJ
        18     17
DATA TEMP.JAG,WORK.KK            TEMP.JAG/WORK.KK
        18     18

>ED MD RELLEVEL
5 lines long.

----: P