-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: February 2, 2006 19:15
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2][UV] Universe and SQL Server

Just because you're exchanging data with a relational database doesn't
mean you need to use SQL or ODBC with U2.  You can use a middle-tier
ADO.NET dataset, and then use that as your data source for SQL Server or
Universe.
For ADO.NET to U2 connectivity I'd use mv.NET, but you can use any tool
available in this market once you setup the structures.   The way you're
doing this now, and this middle-tier approach, both allow you some
freedom to make the data exchanges asynchronously - if one system is
down the other can continue exporting or importing data with the middle
tier.  You don't have that option if you go direct from Universe to
relational.  It also allows you to change your data extraction methods
without affecting the "other" side:  If you're doing SQL queries from
Universe, you need someone who understands both SQL and Universe to get
in and make changes.  If you keep the sides separate then you don't need
one person with all skillsets.

mv.NET is ideal for this sort of thing.  With one of the built-in
libraries (Core Objects) you can exchange data just with calls to BASIC
rules, or you can open files and process dynamic arrays directly using
familiar syntax from VB.NET, C#, or other languages.  With another
included library (Adapter Objects) you can use SQL-like syntax with DICT
references for doing retrievals _and_ insert/update/delete operations.

With SQL Server 2005 now allowing managed code for stored procedures,
SQL Server is actually getting closer to the MV model, with code inside
the environment itself.  I haven't tried this, but I'd guess you could
use mv.NET or UO.NET directly within SQL Server to poll Universe for
data.

The session pooling capabilities in mv.NET also allow for many users to
process queries from a single DBMS license.  Of course higher traffic or
longer operations will require more licenses, but for short burst
transactions this can be very economical.  For a single process that
sends data from Universe to SQL Server you only need one low-cost
license.

If you want to do this without getting an mv.NET developer license, I'll
be happy to whip up a data exchange component to suit your needs,  it
would run as a Windows service that exchanges data in the background.
I've been wanting to do this for a while anyway.  The advantage of
having a developer license of course is that instead of purchasing a
single-use component you'll have a general purpose toolkit for doing all
sorts of things.

E-mail for more info:
Tony Gravagno
TG@ removethisNebula-RnD.com