I once wrote a "wraparound" to the savelist commands which datestamps
the lists on creation and use.  Also allows the user to flag a savelist
as one that should not be overwritten or deleted.  A purge program
allows them to purge out savelists that are no longer necessary or
haven't been accessed in a given period of time.  Really helps keep the
items in that file down.  But, like Jeff Butera said, colleges
especially might need to keep lists around for a while and this really
helped some of our schools manage that.
-Dianne