-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Pflugfelder
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:36 AM
To: U2 List Server
Subject: [U2] Windows UV & host based printers

Windows Server 2003
Universe 10.1.11
Printer: HP Color LaserJet 2600n

>From what I've found on HP's website and some other research on the net,
it appears that this printer uses a 'host-based printer driver' or
'host-based printing'.  Does anyone have any experience with this
specific printer, or more information about host-based printers in
general?

The problem that we're having right now is that we can print a test page
from Windows and it prints fine.  When we try to print from Universe,
nothing comes out on the printer.  We've paused the printer and printed
from Universe and I can see the job hang in the queue waiting to print.
We then unpause the printer and still, nothing prints.

It appears from the documentation that printers are being made with less
intelligence now.  They're taking the hardware out of the printer that
does the formatting (converting from text to raster) and they're now
building it in to the driver in windows.  I haven't tested it yet, but I
know that there is the GDI option to the SETPTR command that might work
for us.  Does anyone know if I will still be able to pass PCL codes
through with this mode of printing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael Pflugfelder | Systems Integrator | Keystone Information Systems