Dave Taylor wrote:
> One of my customers is interested in extracting data from Universe
> into Excel by himself without having to have a program written for
> each import to Excel.
>
> If he learns the names of the files and their dictionaries, and which
> attributes are multi-valued, or even sub-valued, (and of course
> Excel),  what strategies are available to him - eg. SQL commands, a
> macro in Excel, Web Services (next rel. of Universe), some reporting
> product designed to import data from Universe, etc.?

The "solution" will depend on a number of factors in the problem
definition.  For example, where are end-user PC's located which will be
drawing info from Universe.  Or will Universe be pushing data to Excel
sheets for anyone to access?  I won't recommend "how" a task like this can
be done yet, but I will say as always that mv.NET is an ideal
communications tool for this and multitude of other purposes.  You can
specify which files and fields you will use to populate your sheets and
there are many deployment options.

Rendering data in Excel is best done with a programmed solution rather than
simply importing CSV files.  A programmed solution will also facilitate a
scenario where the user clicks a toolbar button in excel and they get a
window with a listbox for files and another selection of fields which can
then be mapped to Excel cells.  With a programmed solution we can handle
multivalued sets, create pivot tables, format cells, set column widths,
insert headers, take advantage of templates, and perform a number of other
functions that simply aren't possible with raw data imports.  We can also
code updates for existing sheets so that data is refreshed using the proper
formatting whenever the user clicks another toolbar button.

I don't know if you want something dirt simple and free, but for "real"
business applications which don't involve a lot of manual reformatting, I
highly recommend writing something as described above.  A utility can be
written to satisfy general purpose requests, so that a program doesn't need
to be written for every unique requirement.  Of course I can do this, and
offer my services along with mv.NET for the communications.  Less manual
intervention and more features will require more coding effort.  I see
something like this being done in phases so that your client can see some
immediate results and then decide what else they want to add as time goes
on.  This also seems like a good candidate for a product for resale since
it would be so versatile - and people ask about this sort of thing all the
time.

HTH
Tony
TG@ removethisNebula-RnD.com