In Unidata there is a NEWVERSION option on the CATALOG verb that is supposed
to push the program live to shared memory which i took to meaning that
already running processes would use. You can only do this if you are logged
in as root.

However i have tried this, and my uniobjects app still used the old version
of the code, untill it disconnected and connected again ....

rgds
Symeon.