I've seen similar erratic behavior when a phantom process set locks for
a possible update, but then didn't clear the lock when no update
occurred.  I'm suggesting you have a locking issue but the out of memory
behavior is identical - it waits for available memory before it can
perform the next read.  In our case the lock table was consuming the
memory - with yours something else is consuming and not releasing the
memory.
HTH
-Baker

<quote who="Kevin King">