Susan

On Unix at least you can use the "fuser -u <<filename>>" command.

e.g.
find dir_path -exec fuser -u {} \;>>/work/pidlog

The pidlog file will contain an entry for every file and each file will have
the list of PIDs that have the file open. You can use the text file to
collate a counted total of files open by each process. The PID then relates
to the UV (or UDT) process in the usual way.

The usual culprits for "too many files" if you have kept an eye on the
kernel 9MFILES/MAXFILES/maximum inodes etc) and udtconfig are:

1. Failing to close O/S level files (OPENSEQ etc or file handles for API
calls (e.g. socket))

2. Program recursion via EXECUTEs or similar

3. (not in your case) setting the maximum number of files > 240 or
thereabouts on Sun. (Solaris has a hard upper limit of 256 file handles for
a 32-bit application.

4. GCI//CALLC functions leaking memory handles

5. Message queues take file handles too....

Take a look at the output from "kp" and match it against the kernel and your
udtconfig (post them if you want and we can look):

/etc/system
"kp" output
udtconfig

Hope some of this helps.