-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Wolverton
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:20 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] [UD] CALL @progname

I am writing some code that will execute a variable passed in "progname"
using CALL @progname.

Question - what is the 'best' way to know that "progname" exists before I
attempt the CALL.

I thought about reading the VOC, but if it's globally cataloged, that won't
work.

I could read the VOC and then the CTLGTB -- but that was two reads just to
'know' the routine wasn't going to blow up.  Is there a more efficient or
systemic way to do this?

**Typically** "progname" will reference a real program, so this testing is
'overhead' for 99.9% of the time - but if someone were to pass in a bad
'progname', I want to be more graceful (and secure!) just falling over.
Since some of the calls will come from 'web connected' clients, and some of
the clients may not know for sure that the host cannot handle the request -
if the client has a different function list than the host at that point and
time... I'm just trying to plan for 'worst case'.

How do others handle CALL @
This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from
disclosure under law. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others.
Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by
replying to the e-mail. Please then delete the e-mail and destroy any copies
of it. Thank you.