Hi Jerry -- I started responding and decided I wasn't certain about
some points so I passed your question along. I will get back to you on
this when I get a response. What I do know is that the file structures
look the same to any application software, but different to the OS.

I can also pass along that I talked to several people and it
definitely seems to be true that there are even fewer hours spent in
sys admin each month with the approach they have, as there is no file
resizing and the like to be done. I asked many questions of both the
vendor and their customers and did not hear about the apps hitting a
wall, so I'll see if I can find out about that.  Thanks.  --dawn