The IBM U2 products are marketed as 'High performance, scalable information
management environments for embedding in vertical applications.' See
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/dbservers.html

IBM has a large reseller or value-added partnerships which they wish to
preserve. One of the side-effects is the 'ownership' of a client; it is the
resellers not IBM's. One way to manage this is to provide access to the
knowledgebase only to the resellers and software houses, as they generate
sales and also manage the database problems as it is the application which
is being sold, not the database. This is a problem for in-house software
development and orphans from software house collapses.

This has always been a problem as long as I can remember - 15 years or more.
And it is the reason that I would never recommend in-house software
development with any U2 products. You will always be flying blind.

There was some chat some months back about creating a free virtual image of
U2 with some supplied software etc. etc. It must always be remembered that
U2 is not open-source or a community built product. It is a proprietary
database product owned and developed by IBM. If IBM do not and will not
recognize the in-house development and consultant markets, then move on.

There are massively larger databases and more in number using MySQL, Oracle
and MS-SQL. Other developers seem to be able to use these products and
produce reasonable applications.

On the other hand, I have found that I can produce and manage a U2 database
simpler and cheaper than others; but not because of the MV factor. It is the
ability to write complex business rules and processes directly in the one
environment (with the database structure) that I find invaluable. But alias,
as the increase of BPEL and such high-end tools come available for other
database products, even this feature of U2 is starting to wear thin.

My $1.22 + tax input.

Cheers,

David Murray

P.S. The direct relationship between BPEL and SB+ is so similar that it is
scary, but no development by IBM of BPEL on U2 seems to be on the cards.

.learn and do
.excel and share