Anthony W. Youngman skrev:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mats Carlid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Anthony W. Youngman skrev:

At which point, you hit my hobbyhorse ... "In the real world ..." - relational database theory has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING whatsoever to do with the real world. It's an exercise in pure maths.

And You hit my hobbyhorse or rather  one of them :-) ...

RDMS theory is absolutely not pure maths!

So you'd say it's applied maths? Getting off-topic, but I've never really understood the difference (as in how it is defined) between pure and applied. I know you can look at a problem and "know" which is which, but how do you define it?
No I don't have a definition of pure math's. Maybe high abstraction leval mathematics is a better word for it.

<digressing>
A very narrow defintion could be maths so abstract that it will never find an application ? But no - remember the 19century guys develloping the theory for non-linear multidimensional spaces ( Riemann et. al. ) and tensors - they thought they had a absolutely pure theory wich would
never find an application and so did others until Eistein published
the general theory of relatlivity only a few decades later ...
</digressing>

I really wanted to express two opinions :
1. RDBMS is not more pure maths than Pick.is.
  It's  just a heavily restricted special case of abstract relation theory.
  It's  more restricted than Pick.
  The restirctions are from a 'pure' mathematical point of view
  totally arbitrary -  but  justifiable from an engineering standpoint
  - except the 1NF of course :-)
2. RDBMS is not anywhere near the abstraction level
of the general theory of relations and certainly is not
the  mathematical relation theory - as sometimes advocated.

-- mats