In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mats Carlid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
I really wanted to express two opinions :
1. RDBMS is not more pure maths than Pick.is.
 It's  just a heavily restricted special case of abstract relation theory.
 It's  more restricted than Pick.
 The restirctions are from a 'pure' mathematical point of view
 totally arbitrary -  but  justifiable from an engineering standpoint
 - except the 1NF of course :-)

Are they? I can't remember the rules off-hand, but I did an analysis on pickwiki, and I think several of them are untenable from a scientific viewpoint.

2. RDBMS is not anywhere near the abstraction level
of the general theory of relations and certainly is not
the  mathematical relation theory - as sometimes advocated.

Ummm ... but as Dawn says, a lot of its advocates treat it as a mathematical model - and then use that to try and PREscribe how the world is supposed to work - a mathematical trait if ever there was one!

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the