Baker,

  Not 100%. There is a _possibility_ that it could be a bug in the UV code
if handles are being reused for more than one purpose, but it could also be
a bug in the myriad of network/driver API layers around Winsock. Martin said
he saw a similar scenario with regards to a poorly written nic driver, so I
wouldn't venture too far into the "file a UV bug" field yet. A firewall or
Windows telnet service shouldn't have caused a 100038 error. 100038 means
the code tried to use a file handle that wasn't a socket at the time. If
either of them was responsible then I'd be weary of the winsock and winsock2
layers on those machines. Look at the update logs and see if any updates to
winsock/winsock2 were done recently. If they were, rollback and see if the
problem goes away.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries